People in Fayette County Have the Highest Risk of Heart Attack in the State
Unfortunately, if you live in Fayette County, your chances of someday needing the life-saving procedures of balloon angioplasty and stents are greater than if you lived elsewhere in the state.
And it doesn't have to do with location so much as lifestyle.
Researchers have discovered that Fayette County has a higher incidence of people who are overweight, smoke, don't exercise, have diabetes and have high cholesterol - all factors that have been linked to heart disease.
For hard data about why researchers believe Fayette County residents are more prone to heart attacks, check out these facts:
Return to LEARN MORE
- 44% of people in Fayette County are overweight, versus 35% in the U.S.
- 28.2% of people in Fayette County don't exercise, versus 23.1% in Pennsylvania and 16.1% in the U.S.
- 10.5% of people in Fayette County have diabetes, versus 8.1% in Pennsylvania and 7.0% in the U.S.
- 30.9% of people in Fayette County have high cholesterol, versus 22% in the U.S.
- 33% of people in Fayette County smoke, versus 25% in Pennsylvania.